Bitter gourd Potato FrySandhya Khattri
17 Sep 2013
Bitter gourd potato fry is simple recipe, this combination is used to adjust the bitterness of karela and is helpful for those who don’t like to eat bittergourds. This recipe can be packed in Luchbox or it can be served as a side dish with any dal or as a main dish with curd raita. Stuffed karela can be prepared but the recipe requires some preparations, Crispy karela is another karela recipe of my blog but this recipe is simple and easy. Ingredients required and detailed instructions for the recipe are as follows:
Preparation Time : 30 Mins | Cooking Time : 20 mins | Serves :3
Recipe Category: Side Dish| Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
Ingredients:Bitter gourds or karela- 6 to 8
Salt- to taste(extra for rubbing)
Red chilli powder-1/2 teaspoon
Coriander powder-1 tablespoon
Amchur powder-1 teaspoon
Garam masala powder-1/2 teaspoon
Oil- 2 tablespoon
- Peel potatoes, slice them lengthwise , wash them and place them in vegetable strainer so that excess water drains out.
- Scrape the outer skin of bittergourds, slit them lengthwise from one side, so that they can not be separated in two parts, apply salt on them and leave them for ½ an hour.
- Wash bitter gourds thoroughly, squeeze the excess water from them.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadhai, deep fry all bitter gourds in it till they are golden in color, remove them from pan.
- In the same oil deep fry potato slices on high flame, as their color starts changing to golden, adjust the flame to low, sprinkle some salt and turmeric powder over them, cover the lid and let them cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a bowl mix all the spices ( salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and amchur powder) stuff this powder in fried karelas, add the remaining powder over the potatoes.
- Mix bitter gourds with potatoes.Cover the lid and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Notes:You can also add onion slices while frying karelas.
If you like the veggies to be moist, at the last step when you are adding bitter gourds and potatoes you can add one teaspoon water to it.
Other deep fried recipes are arbi fry and pointed gourd and potato stir fry